Mike


Dedicated to the Passionate Pursuit of the Glory of God.



Puritan Catechism Question of the Week
Q 16. Into what estate did the fall bring mankind?
A. The fall brought mankind into a state of sin and misery.

Name: Mike
Location: California, United States
See my complete profile

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Spurgeon Helps us with Romans

If you have read this blog for any length of time you know that I do not quote Spurgeon that often. I might quote Owen, Edwards or Whitefield but rarely Spurgeon. The reason is not because I disagree with much of what he has to say but mostly because he seems over-quoted to me and other reformers under-quoted. The other reason is that I use his Catechism for the Puritan Catechism of the week and don't want Spurgeon-overload.

That being said, we have been engaged in a discussion of Romans 9 which is certainly a great text for the Reformed view. In light of this, I'd like to share some Spurgeon quotations. Information from Spurgeon can be found at Phil Johnson's website, but these quotations have been most recently quoted on Reformation Theology so I will link there also.



“But,” say others, “God elected them on the foresight of their faith.” Now, God gives faith, therefore he could not have elected them on account of faith, which he foresaw. There shall be twenty beggars in the street, and I determine to give one of them a shilling; but will any one say that I determined to give that one a shilling, that I elected him to have the shilling, because I foresaw that he would have it? That would be talking nonsense. In like manner to say that God elected men because he foresaw they would have faith, which is salvation in the germ, would be too absurd for us to listen to for a moment. 41,42.317

Recollect also that God himself did not foresee that there would be any love to him in us arising out of ourselves, for there never has been any, and there never will be; he only foresaw that we should believe because he gave us faith, he foresaw that we should repent because his Spirit would work repentance in us, he foresaw that we should love, because he wrought that love within us; and is there anything in the foresight that he means to give us such things that can account for his giving us such things? The case is self-evident—his foresight of what he means to do cannot be his reason for doing it. 1299.341

Our Saviour has bidden us to preach the gospel to every creature; he has not said, “Preach it only to the elect;” and though that might seem to be the most logical thing for us to do, yet, since he has not been pleased to stamp the elect in their foreheads, or to put any distinctive mark upon them, it would be an impossible task for us to perform; whereas, when we preach the gospel to every creature, the gospel makes its own division, and Christ’s sheep hear his voice, and follow him. 2937.262

God neither chose them nor called them because they were holy, but He called them that they might be holy, and holiness is the beauty produced by His workmanship in them. ME329



In Christ alone,
mike

P.S.
If things go according to plan then the last post on Romans 9 should be posted within two days. I am tempted to proceed onto Romans 10, but I know that would cause me to move into 11 and 12, and i might be very well into chapter 16 before I decide to stop. Since I have enjoyed this brief study, I am considering doing something similar (although maybe at a faster pace). Because it would be my natural inclination to stay in the NT and do maybe Ephesians, I think I would first like to look at something that is Old Testament. OT study seems to be severely lacking in my own life and in the church as a whole. At this point I am undecided and am up for suggestions.

May you grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Correy said...

That is brilliant. I know you say that you have been holding back on Spurgeon quotes but this one surely does take the cake. So many people have dramas with what part Faith plays in salvation. Spurgeon points out the absolute obvious with these great examples.

You have got to love when he says here.

"I elected him to have the shilling, because I foresaw that he would have it? That would be talking nonsense"

This so often comes up that God has a crystal ball and looks into the future to see if we would have faith or choose him therefore he elects us. It is total nonesence that God is outside of time and that the future has already happened.

If you were to touch on Old Testament my suggestion would be proverbs. The wisdom therin is amazing. It is possible to talk on one sentence for ages. I love how it always says "My Son" Then Jesus read it and knew it was for Him.... Same as with us who are in Christ.

Best Regards

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home