Mike


Dedicated to the Passionate Pursuit of the Glory of God.



Puritan Catechism Question of the Week
Q 16. Into what estate did the fall bring mankind?
A. The fall brought mankind into a state of sin and misery.

Name: Mike
Location: California, United States
See my complete profile

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Rock of Ages

As I stated in my last post, this is a very busy week for me. Consequently, I've had to take a brief recess from my Eschatology series. When this week comes to an end and my thoughts return to me, I will get back to that series.

In the mean time, here is another one of my favorite hymns. Again, I will highlight particular parts that I like, although in this hymn that is nearly every line.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;

Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law'’s demands;

Could my zeal no respite know, [I couldn't embolden the entire stanza!]
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;

Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;

Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me.



I think a particularly good line comes at the end of the first stanza: "Be of sin the double cure / save from wrath and make me pure." We are not saved simply to remove the wrath that God has directed toward us. He has also cured us in a second way, namely to make us pure. How does one go about becoming purified? Consider these words: "Nothing in my hand I bring / simply to the cross I cling / naked come to thee for dress / helpless look to thee for Grace." This is not simply the posture of our heart atregenerationn, but absolutely must be characteristic of our entire life. It is By His grace that we are saved, sanctified, and will one day be glorified. Let us hide ourselves in Him.

In Christ alone,
mike

3 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

Mike,

It's good to see that you're posting again.

That hymn kinda bothers me at time because it allegorizes the story of Moses. Even though the theology is pretty good, it gets it from the wrong text.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Interesting. I think that it does draw language from that narrative, but I believe Toplady (sond writer) was actually in the midst of a thunderstorm and found shelter between two stones.

In any case, I don't really see a problem with seeing spiritual significance in a historically accurate story. For example, must we take issue with the Ebenezer stone in Come Thou Fount?

Just my thoughts; Glad to have heard yours.

In Christ alone,
mike

11:53 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Sidney Greidanus has an excellent book on preaching called The Modern Preacher and the Ancient Text. It's a great book on the exegesis and message prep. He has some good thoughts on the subject.

I haven't thought much about "Come, Thou, Fount." That's probably allegorizing as well. "On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand" definitely is.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home